What happens if you don’t accept a settlement?
Many people settle out of court to avoid a lengthy trial and to be able to access financial compensation more quickly. Negotiations are often conducted by the attorneys of the parties involved, who look out for their client’s interests and do their best to reach a fair settlement. However, not all agreements may be beneficial to you.
Here are some of the reasons why a person may decide not to accept a settlement:
- On many occasions, the first offer that the victim will receive will be from the insurance company of the person responsible for the accident. Unfortunately, it is common practice for these companies to start by offering minimal compensation or, in the worst scenario, deny the claim, thus refusing to pay. If you are offered compensation, do not agree to anything without speaking to an attorney first. Only a professional with experience in this area will be able to determine if the compensation or settlement offered to you is a fair and reasonable amount for what you deserve.
- On the other hand, the other party can also decide not to accept a settlement when the plaintiff’s conditions are not reasonable, whether it is asking for an exorbitant compensation or asking to be compensated for things that are not a direct consequence of the accident.
- The plaintiff may decide to go to trial to obtain more significant compensation. This also has to do with the seriousness of the situation. In some lawsuits, punitive damages can also be requested in addition to compensation. Punitive damages serve as a “financial punishment” for the responsible person. They are imposed based on the seriousness of the situation and the person’s clear negligence. They also serve as a way to prevent such a situation from happening again.
- A lawsuit can also end up going to trial if the defendant and his attorneys refuse to settle, leaving the plaintiff no choice but to take the case before a jury.
- The compensation that is intended to be negotiated is not enough to cover all the economic and non-economic damages caused by the injuries. Therefore, the help of a specialized lawyer is crucial to inform you about everything that should be considered in a compensation, based on the circumstances of your case.
Our lawyers specialize in all kinds of personal injury situations and are committed to winning you the maximum settlement for your full recovery. Contact us for a free consultation!