What’s the first thing you should do after a rideshare accident?
With the increasingly common shared travel options, such as Uber or Lyft applications, transportation can seem much more comfortable and attractive.
However, the increased use of these applications has put more cars on our roads, and therefore, more likely to suffer an accident. If you get involved in this type of accident, it is important that you follow some tips to know what to do and protect yourself in case it is necessary to file a lawsuit.
1. Call emergency services. It’s always a good idea to obtain a police report so that there is a legal record of what happened. If you’re injured, seek immediate medical attention.
2. Take pictures. If possible and you can move, photographs are a very useful tool to record the facts. This is a basic step for any car accident. Take your own photos of the scene as a count of the damage and so you can use them in the future if necessary.
3. Obtain witness contact information. Shared travel accidents are different from normal car accidents in the sense that it is very likely that someone will try to deny what happened, be it the driver or the company itself. Therefore, having a list of witnesses who can tell the facts is essential. If possible, get names, phone numbers and emails.
4. Write down the name of the driver of the shared trip. This information is probably already on your phone, but it is important to remember to write down their full name. Fortunately, shared travel applications, such as Uber and Lyft, save the travel history so you can see the name when necessary.
5. For security and for future reference, take a screenshot of your trip receipt. This way you can have proof with the time and place where they picked you up and where the accident occurred.
6. Get legal help. These cases can be complicated, so you will need a good lawyer.